[Diy_efi] Donegan ECU

Ian Molton spyro
Tue Jan 30 10:01:06 UTC 2007

Andrew Hopton wrote:
> Buried in your wrist?  How did this come about?

In a past life I was a dog...

No, more seriously... I got an 'animal grade' EM4102 tag (a glass 'bead'
about 2mmx12) put in my wrist. Theres a place in birmingham that will do it.

You can do it yourself, although I wouldnt recommend it because:

1) The syringe is _colossal_
2) You probably dont have good anatomical knowledge.
3) They had freeze spray and a sterile set of tools.

Their technique doesnt use the syringe - they start as for a bar
piercing - numb the area (freeze), pinch up the skin, then pierce with a
metal spike. The chip is then fitted to the spike and drawn back through
into your wrist.

This results in less scarring. I managed to refrain from picking at the
(very small) scabs on the ends of the puncture wound, and a year on, I
cant actually see the scarring _at all_ its completely gone.

If I have this done again (I may well do, in the other wrist) I will be
using a slightly more advanced chip (Q5) which can also emulate the
EM4102, and will be getting it placed vertically, inline with the bone,
instead of transverse with it, as I suspect this will result in an
(even) less noticeable lump where the chip is. The hope is that the chip
will nestle in the slight indentation between the bones. The one I
already have is barely noticeable, but if I catch it wrong, it sometimes
feels disconcerting (not painful).

I can grip my wrist with the chip in and twist the skin round as much as
I ever could before, and its not painful - just a little weird feeling.

Read range on the chips is approximately 15cm on a standard reader.
extended range readers will read out to about a meter or so, but are
_expensive_

the Q5 and (I think!) EM4102 can both be rewritten so the ID is not
permanent.

There are more recent tags with bigger storage but the transfer rate
isn't great and the readers aren't cheap. EM4102 and Q5 can be read by
cheap modules with serial or USB interfaces.

HTH!

Ian