[Diy_efi] NVRAM chip for a 1986 GM odometer?

Scot Sealander ssealander
Wed Jul 4 16:51:33 UTC 2007

I am not sure if you are asking a question or just stating your experience.

> Not so hot reliability for the panel to go *poof*
> at only 96,480 miles.

Well, a 21 year old electronics part starting acting funny?  Seems to me to
be fairly reliable!  I would offer a guess that maybe the solder was
fractured somewhere.  There is also the possibility that the EEPROM has just
been written to too many times.

> Would be nice to find a reasonably priced replacement
> and a way to set the miles to match the original.

Sure, but if it was easy to reset the mileage, we would have lots of
low-mileage used cars around.  I think GM kept this part quiet for a reason.
Do you know what the NVRAM part is?  There is a good chance that it is a
house marked EEPROM that could be replaced, if it is still available.

Scot