[Diy_efi] Mass Air Flow and air temperature correcting

JS Nord jsnord
Thu Jul 5 20:35:16 UTC 2007

Can anyone point me to some information that outlines how a hot wire type MAF sensor is impacted by air temperature changes?

I have a Pro-M racing MAF conversion (Ford MAF unit) on my BWM 535i (running motronic 1.3).  Factory setup is a vane type bosch air flow meter with an air intake temp sensor.  The Pro-m conversion kit comes with AIT sensor which can be fed to the factory motronic feed.  The motronic will adjust fuel pulse and engine timing (retard) based on the AIT reading.  Amount of correction is unknown.

My wideband O2 sensor is showing my mixture leaning out on hot days when the AIT is connected so I'm assuming it's overcorrecting the fuel.

I'm trying to determine if I should just unplug the AIT, run connected or install a resistor/choke to force a certain value to the motronic.  (The later seems most preferable at this point).

Suggestions or resources?

Jeff
90 BMW 535i