[Diy_efi] Other tips for Bonneville

Ernest Buckler ebuckler
Tue May 22 18:49:40 UTC 2007

Pick up a bike?  As in buy?  Or rent or borrow?

To tell you the truth, I think a modern scooter would be more useful, if
only because they have quite a useful carrying capacity under the seat.
That will be one of your main requirements, ability to carry camera,
batteries, hat, water, lunch, sunscreen, notebook, jacket, shoes/sandals,
phone, walkie-talkies, a shade device, etc.  Did I say water?  I'll mention
it again, water.  Conditions can change from quite cool to broiling hot,
windy to calm, very quickly.   Fold-up tri-leg stool, or equivalent is v.
handy, as there's not always a spare fender or tire or chair to sit on,
depending on where you are watching from. Maybe lash that on the back?  Of
course I say this without knowing what other resources you'll have there or
whether you'll be riding this same machine back and forth to Wendover. It's
a fair distance, so fuel is something you need to consider.  The speed is
all around you, no real need for a fast machine to be pit crew or spectator,
utility is more important in those roles.  If you are crew, then a small
scooter stuffed in the trailer will suffice, but if you need to get back &
forth to town, you'll want something like a 150 minimum, 250 better, IMO.
Just talking, tho, cuz I don't know your situation at all, just my
observations.  If you do take a bike, saddlebags and tailtrunk WILL be your
friends!  [:oj

I may go myself this year, never have been there for races either, but have
been there just to see the place, and have been packed and ready to go
several times and had my plans waylaid for various reasons. I live about 800
miles north of the place.  Last year the car I was to help with blew up on
the dyno - a fuel injection/ign. problem, matter of fact.  Anyway, my advice
is somewhat second hand, based on research as I prepared for the trip
myself.  I was stationed in the desert for 3 years, did attend a lot of
desert racing events in one role or another, so know enough to listen v.
carefully when the old Bonneville hands give out the specific advice, am
just passing it on.

What car will you be with?

Ernie