[Diy_efi] Scan Tools

Logan Lingle llingle
Tue May 29 02:21:32 UTC 2007

Hi.

I've been using a Mac Mentor (Actually a re-branded OTC Genisys, sold
under the Mac Tools Name) for some time and recently went to install my
"Free" upgrade only to find out that it's not "Free" They are trying to
hold me up for more money in the form of a "Smart Insert" they never
told me I needed when I bought it.

(Much like they never informed me that the "Free" "Imports" upgrade
doesn't cover "Asian Imports" It's only good for imports from Finland or
New Guinea or something, I suppose. But, I digress.)

THEN they tell me the tool is just soooo damned old and for the low, low
price of only $2100.00 and my current scanner,  they'll make me a deal
and replace my archaic, 3  year old,  piece of Aztec, sun dial crap with
their brand new version! Oh boy! OH BOY!

I was about to write out the check when a friend of mine told me to look
into a PC or palm based solution. He suggested the following products
and said he had heard good things about them. He's a Service manager for
Ford, and he uses PC based software there. He showed it to me and it's
way cool,  but it's a proprietary Ford product and I need something
universal for both work and experimentation.

The products he recommended:

http://autoenginuity.com/

http://autotap.com/

(The autoenginuity product looks particularly appealing.. and it's
priced right.)

I added it up and, do you know I could have an Alienware laptop and
either software package for the price of a Mentor new?  So naturally,
I'm interested..  But I was hoping someone here was familiar with these
products and could either offer their opinion on them or recommend a
viable competitor.

Besides, I'm sick to death of tossing hardware based scan tools. It just
seems so senseless. I'm not unhappy with the Mentor, it's a good tool. I
just need an upgrade for newer vehicles. Ya know, it seems silly to keep
trashing these things at a thousand or two grand a pop when I can just
download an update and/or buy a new cable and be ready to go.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Logan