[Diy_efi] water injection

Klaus Allmendinger klaus
Wed Sep 5 22:02:35 UTC 2007

Why?

Water injection on a gasoline engine is mainly there for knock
supression. A diesel operates on "knock". It lives by compression
ignition, which in a spark ignited engine is the reason for knock. The
only reason I can think of for using port WI on a diesel is for slight
NOx reduction. In a diesel with port WI this results in an increase in
CO and HC emissions and a slight increase in fuel consumption from all
the research papers I read.

- Klaus

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of ian
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 2:42 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Diy_efi] water injection

Hi guys.

Im considering adding water injection to my little 1.0 turbo diesel
charade.

has anyone done something similar and has advice?

Im intending to use a washer pump and agricultural (metal) spray nozzle,
with a PWM controller that increases the pump duty cycle based on boost
pressure in the plenum. I was intending to spray directly into the
plenum, so as not to have water interfering with the turbo.

thoughts ?