[Diy_efi] Re: [jyturbo] No drag racing tomorrow - tubo shot - baghhhh!

David Allen davida1
Wed Sep 12 02:43:00 UTC 2007

  Damn that sucks.  I really hate to hear that!!!!!
As for the bearings, I would not worry.  The metal from failed turbo
bearings is fine enough that it should not pose a problem. Just change the
oil and filter, and replace/ repair the turbo. I would stick with the same
type turbo if I were you. That way you don't have to re-fabricate
everything. You probably only need bearings and a compressor wheel anyway?
  Was your turbo from a Cummins 5.9? If so please e-mail me off-list.
  It sucks when things like this happen.  My incident was not as bad because
I already had several years out of my setup.  Anyway I broke a 1/8" drill
bit mounting some headlight relays under the hood.  The hot tip of the
broken bit landed on the flex hose between the intake pipe and air filter.
It melted through.  After months of laying in the intake pipe, that piece of
a bit finally went through the turbo.  I heard what sounded like brief
pinging in the engine, then after that I could only build 5 or 6 PSI boost.
And the turbo sounded really sick.  It destroyed the compressor wheel and
the imbalance wrecked the bearings.  I was a Rajay turbo from the 70's.
Could not get any parts for it and had to buy a new/ different turbo and
re-fabricate the system.
  I only changed the oil and filter, and put a new turbo; and that was
10,000 miles ago or better. No engine problems.  In the end I ended up with
about  50 more HP because the new turbo was actually spec'd out for my
motor. So all's well that ends well.
Thanks,
David