[Diy_efi] Diesel EFI?

James Holland j_holland
Sun Nov 28 18:49:56 UTC 2010

Hi Yakir
I think that you would need to look at the injector specs first. I'm not
familiar with the Toyota engines but I have some experience with CRD on
truck engines, the injectors for those use a high voltage pulse of 50V
(Denso) or 90V (Bosch) to get the injector to open. As mentioned before
there can be multiple injections per stroke.
Cheers
James

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Green, Yakir
Sent: 25 November 2010 14:21
To: Diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Diesel EFI?

Mike, Avery, thanks for your comments!!

Here is some more info ...
I am looking for a solution for 80% academic 20% practical reasons.
I live in Israel, and we have a LOT of 2.4L Toyota engines ... they come in
a range of cars.
The problem with going with a VW engine is, it's not legal in IL ... Only a
Toyota 2.4L is allowed.

I was thinking of using a new model Toyota CRD engine, but then I need the
ECU ... and that led me to the MegaSquirt.
Now, diesel injection timing is a lot like sparkplug timing (on Petrol
engines), only difference is that some new diesel have more than a single
injection trigger during a combustion phase ... which the MegaSquirt
probably can't handle.

If I have to take the Toyota ECU, I need most of the Toyota wiring and
dash-board ... which means I need to buy a whole new car (After a collision)
and gut it ...

Is there any other independent EFI controller that can work with CRD?

Yakir.