[Diy_efi] Megasquirt

Fred Cooke fred.cooke
Mon Feb 28 12:11:06 UTC 2011

Hello Bruce! :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first response (in 3 years) from
you, to me, on this subject? If so, it's about bloody time, really, don't
you think? :-)

2011/2/21 Bruce A Bowling <bbowling at earthlink.net>

> Bruce, no reply to the accusations of ripping off GM code? If it's not
> true, say so, if it is, remain silent.
>
> Actually, there is only one part of the code that did come from GM, not
> code but the coefficients. Its the barometer correction section, which turns
> out to be only applicable to one GM model year. But this is long gone, we
> now know the correct way to compensate.

Good to hear!

> \In any case, the days of MegaSquirt will soon be gone, about time really,
> enough user talent has been sponged for profit already. Enough is enough.
>
> Days of MegaSquirt being gone? Bring it on :) Its been many years of talk,
> time for somethng (anything?) real. Many have been waiting for the promise
> to be fulfilled.

Anything? Many years? Only 3, Bruce. 1.5 years ago I drove Jerry
(DIYAutoTune) under FreeEMS power, then I took a long holiday in my
beautiful country (and yours) after spending too much time in wretched
mother England. That was pretty cool. I should publish the story at some
stage, coding at the top of the Empire State Building, etc etc :-) Here is
an old video while in Florida cutting between traffic on the "freeway":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q4XatBmviM

But for now, this for sale thread for my now un-needed MS2 box should be
enough ;-)

http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.php?p=13349#p13349

>  In the meantime, MegaSquirt will continue to provide users with successful
> installations and the best support. There is much more to a successful
> product, and MS has the best collection of people, period.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Besides, who is to say which people MS has
or doesn't have? Not you, I can tell you that right now.

>   "Sponged profits" - you crack me up with your insight!

Next time, Bruce, before misquoting me, please, learn to read. What I said,
was, that *talent* was sponged for the purposes of profit, not that profit
was sponged. There is a distinct difference between these two sentence
constructions... For the record, Phil Tobin is very guilty of this too, I
won't run his software on my machines, I don't trust it. Speaking of which,
some readers may enjoy playing around with the Free and Open Source
OpenLogViewer (OLV for short) which is progressing rapidly and very usable
already - I used it to bring my CAS decoder up to scratch over the last few
days. Because it's GPL I was able to just make changes to suit myself and
freely distribute them to whoever I wanted for any purpose, nice that, isn't
it? :-)

https://github.com/gufi/OpenLogViewer

>  BTW - as some people know, this actual forum here that people are using (
> diy-efi.org) has been funded 100% by sponged MegaSquirt profits over the
> last year. We took it over from Steve Ravet over a year ago after he asked
> for a new admin and no one stepped up - so we did. Otherwise it would have
> shut down long ago.

That's great to hear, Bruce! Probably about time you put something back into
the community that MegaSquirt tore apart... Full credit there.

I'll start a new email thread when there is more to talk about, it's about
time. I didn't make any noise on here before because there wasn't much
generally usable to talk about, and also because it has a "hack OEM stuff"
feel to it, most of the time, anyway.

Thanks for finally engaging me, Bruce, it's been a pleasure.

Regards,

Fred.