[Diy_efi] Detuning Motorhomes

Aaron aaron
Fri Jan 14 15:21:56 UTC 2011

OOPS, More on Intake Manifolds.

Many people have gone to a typical aluminum performance intake. They flow much better, but they don?t fit under the floor. So you need to build a box to fit the intake and be willing to crawl over it every time you get into the driver?s seat. There are also at least two companies making exact replacements for our manifolds in aluminum. They look very nice and should work well and weigh less, but I?ve never used one.

I should also mention that a large welding / engine rebuilding company in our area crack checks, repairs, welds the exhaust crossovers shut and machines the intake manifold. Welding cast iron is not what I would consider a home process. The company also repairs the front hubs for these GMC?s for the shop by machining off the damaged or undersized bearing ID and underwater spray welding new material to the hub. Then they machine the bearing ID surface to a tighter tolerance and re-machine the half shaft splines that shrink in the welding process. It all makes for a nice tight front bearing assembly.

From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Aaron
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:02 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Detuning Motorhomes

Next, let?s talk about the intake manifold.

Frankly, the OEM 75 lbs cast iron monster sucks. It was designed to allow the Old big block to fit under the hood of the Toronado. The carb base sits a full 2+ inches below other Olds big block manifolds. That added to the severe angles the air fuel mix has to travel to get to the valves. And as we all know, in a wet manifold as soon as you turn the air fuel mix, the fuel wants to keep going straight, then pools in the corners. Also, the exhaust crossover under the manifold was pushed further into the cam shaft valley. Since it?s a big block making lots of heat stuffed into an engine compartment with marginal air flow for cooling. Things get hot. I?ve removed coffee can filling  carbon bricks from the bottom of the manifold and the OEM steel intake gasket / valley pan. Another thing about the intake manifold crossover is how close it is to the bottom of the carb. Think cold fuel slamming onto hot cast iron. Both the 455 and 403 crack in this area and let exhaust into the intake in high vacuum conditions.

6. Have the intake checked for cracks. Usually the intake crack at the exhaust crossover directly under the carb base. They can also crack around the EGR port that is used for the choke stove. I even had some cracked down the secondary throttle wall starting from the carb base.

7. Have the exhaust crossover ports welded shut. Losing the heat under the carb base does not affect the cold starting of these beast. True the choke setting of a carburetor stays on longer, but the loss of fuel savings at cold start up seems worth the gain in not having gaskets cooked or creating carbon gravel in the oil. Mondello sells a cast iron plug that can be wedged into the head. I?d tried those before having the intakes welded shut. They work, but everyone I ever install came loose and rattled with every exhaust pulse. Sounds like a rod knock.

8. Use the thick two piece intake gaskets that are not made from steel and do not have the valley pan. If you?ve closed off the exhaust crossover, these will help keep more heat out off the intake manifold.

9. Watch the adapter plates closely. The adapters that change the spread bore to a GM TBI and even the square flange bolt pattern don?t always fit correctly. Pay close attention to the spread bore gaskets. Some leave a gap on the secondary bores, which makes for a fun intermittent vacuum leak. Also the TBI IAC on some kits hangs over the plate leaving the gasket flapping in the wind. The TBI IAC may also run over one of the rear bolt heads for the adapter plate. This also doesn?t seal well.

10. The GM TBI adapter plates move the center of the air filter toward the distributor. With the large diameter HEI cap and the air filter housing bump into each other. You could use an aftermarket open air filter, but I find them loud at WOT and they suck a lot of hot engine compartment air. I use a calibrated tapometer (hammer) to increase size the existing relief in the lower part of the steel OEM air filter housing.

More tomorrow.