[Diy_efi] direct injection

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Fri Sep 23 02:39:52 UTC 2011

I know that this topic has gone kind of cold, but I spoke with a field engineer that came to the shop today and he had some information I thought I would share with you. When I told him about your inquiry and the information that I had been unable to obtain he also had some additional information that I was unaware of as well. He told me that the injector placement was critical and that was one of the major obstacles that took GM engineers some time to overcome. Evidently, the location of the injector in the combustion chamber and more importantly where the spray is focused is crucial to the engine performing properly. Since they were modifying existing?engine designs with the intention of making as few major modifications to the cylinder heads as possible it was quite difficult to get the injectors spraying fuel into the right part of the cylinder for the engines to run right. As a matter of fact I have replaced a cylinder head on a DI 3.6 v6
 recently.?I noticed the injector actually came in through the side of the combustion chamber ( this was probably due to the only available location to mount the injectors ) and the top of the piston and combustion chambers were very specifically shaped. They were profiled so that the fuel spray focused into a recess in the middle of the combustion chamber directly under the spark plug. I am guessing that this was to get the flame to start in the middle of the chamber and spread outward in a controlled manner. Anyhow, I thought this information was important enough to pass on. Don't get me wrong, I would love for you to successfully utilize a DI system on your project and anyone else for that matter. I just want to provide enough info so as to aid in this being completed successfully without running into so many obstacles that anyone who attempts this will not give up. I also don't want to see someone ruin a possibly rare and/or expensive cylinder head
 just to mount the injector and find out that the rest of the project is too difficult to complete. Good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions that come to mind.
?
Phil

From: "ScottyGrover at aol.com" <ScottyGrover at aol.com>
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Sent: Friday, September 9, 2011 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] direct injection

 Thank you very much for the information.? I am designing a system for
an air-cooled, 2.7L flat six and haven't been able to get any co-operation from
Delphi or from my local dealer (he says I don't need to know.)
I have studied the patents (Delphi and others) and have a good idea of the
layout but I need the physical size (particularly the diameter) and the
application (HP rating, engine size, and of course the part number.)

Scotty

In a message dated 9/8/2011 7:46:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pmkls1 at yahoo.com writes:
I have  been a tech at GM dealerships since 2001. I don't have the slightest clue  about the other manufacturers using DI, but know a decent amount about the GM  systems. So far I haven't seen any common issues at all with the GM stuff. I  have seen a few injectors go bad and some issues with the high pressure pump  leaking fuel into the crankcase ( just like the old mechanical pumps did), but  nothing major or widespread overall. As far as the systems themselves go I  will give a detailed description of how they work etc. Currently, only the  Ecotec engines have DI versions, and all late model high feature v6 engines  (2.8, 3.0, 3.6) are DI. They all use an in-tank electric pump running at ~60  psi to send fuel up to the high pressure pump.?The high pressure  pump?is mounted on the engine, is driven off of a camshaft, and operates  exactly like the regular old mechanical fuel pumps do ( save for the pressure  output ). The entire system is a
 returnless system and
>like most newer
  vehicles has no serviceable fuel filter. The supply pressure is regulated by
  the ecm and a fuel pump flow control module via a pwm signal to the electric
  in-tank pump. The fuel pressure on the high pressure side of the system is
  also controlled by the ecm too via an actuator mounted inside the high
  pressure pump. The system operating pressures on the high pressure side are
  500-800 psi at idle and around 2500 psi at max output iirc. From the high
  pressure pump forward they use heavy stainless lines with flare and ball
  connections and are supposed to be a one-time use deal. Anytime we take a line
  loose it is supposed to be replaced, although I have reused several without
  any leaks. There is also a fuel rail pressure sensor located on the fuel
  injector rail to send pressure readings back to the ecm and there is no other
  means of testing pressure on the high pressure side. The injectors look like
  normal injectors on the fuel rail side and
>use o-rings that appear to be
  the same size or similar to that of regular fuel injectors( I still can't
  figure out how the seals don't blow out at those pressures). The other end of
  the fuel injector is very long and narrow and uses special teflon seals to
  seal it into the cylinder head as they go directly into the combustion
  chamber?through the intake side of the cylinder head. Special tools are
  required to install and size the teflon seals similar to the tools used for
  non-cut teflon seals used in transmissions. There are also special tools
  required to remove the injectors?from the cylinder head as carbon will
  quickly cause them to get stuck in the close-tolerance bores. Every time the
  injectors are removed all of the seals have to be replaced. The injectors do
  require a special high voltage driver, but I do not know the specs right now.
  Overall, the systems operate like a regular sequential port system does and
  are designed similar to a diesel
>system. Both fuel economy and power are
  improved on the engines GM is using DI on currently. The latest 3.6 in the
  base camaro is up to something like 317hp now. As far as being able to fit DI
  to any other engine, I suppose it may be possible on some engines. Even then
  it would require significant cylinder head modification and some fabrication.
  You would also have to use an ECM designed for DI and be able to modify the
  calibrations and flash the ecm which I am unsure if that is possible
  currently. Hope this answers a few questions.