[Diy_efi] diy-efi.org mailing list?

Bruce A Bowling bbowling
Wed Oct 10 13:48:20 UTC 2012

If people recall almost 4 years ago Steve Ravet put out a notice asking
for someone to take over the forums and the server payments. No one
stepped up to take them over, so the list was shut down and domain
released. We (Bowling & Grippo) talked to Steve and recovered the
information to get the server set back up and the domain reinstated. At
which point we posted a notice here on the list that the servers were
back up, and we were going to let them run in a un-moderated fashion
because we simply did not have the time to invest on revamping the whole
site.

So, over the last few years, this is exactly how the list has been
operated - it is out there running without any intervention. The server
itself has had some hiccups which we had to go to the ISP and have them
fix it, mostly in the domain name, because they (ISP) would let it
expire instead of renewing. So the first of this year we purchased
10-years domain renewal, so this should keep things OK at least for that
part of the equation. The server we pay for each year since this is how
the ISP wants to operate, and he has in the past taken the lists offline
by accident, but they eventually correct these mistakes.

For any configuration issues, know that we have not touched anything at
all, on any configuration, at any time, since we resurrected the lists.
So if there is a config issue it has been there for years, its not a
recent change.

If someone wants to step up and moderate the list let me know. But,
please do this for the long haul, do not come back several months from
now and tell me that they do not have time to manage it anymore  We
(B&G) will continue to pay for the server and keep it alive, if someone
wants to work on content, fix the web sites, and maybe migrate to a
newer listserv package or even another format, that would be great.

This does bring up one item... the "Donate to PayPal" link. Turns out
that we do not have any of the login information for accessing the
PayPal account, it was not given to us. So if you put money in the
account, we cannot access it... it will just sit there. We (B&G) have
been paying for the servers directly with our own funds - its only a few
hundred $$s a year, its not a big deal. So, if someone wants to manage
the lists, the first job would be to get access to the PayPal account
and issue refunds on the donations back to all the donors.

I personally think that the lack of posting traffic may be that people
are simply not posting, the listserv has been operating as far as I know..

- Bruce