[Diy_efi] Projects

David Allen davida1
Fri Oct 19 12:46:29 UTC 2012

Clair, I've had a similar "fuel cut" feel before. It was at light-throttle,
low load (like parking lot speeds) where at about 1500 - 2000 RPM the engine
would cut out and in and out and in "roop-roop-roop-roop."

There were 2 things contributing to it. The aftermarket camshaft in this
engine is very efficient around that speed, so it created a lower manifold
pressure than the factory cam. This was causing it to give too much spark
advance. At light loads, the engine couldn't detonate and set off the knock
sensor. It would just missfire from too much advance. I lowered the "max
advance relative to ref" value to reduce the advance. By "playing with"
this, I was able to elimimate the parking-lot speed "roop-roop-roop"
problem. The AFR display was all over the place when it was doing this.
After adjusting the ignition advance, I was then able to see a stable AFR
reading, and adjust the VE table to get it even smoother.

Then there was a similar feeling when driving down long, gentle downhill
grades. It was a "waffling" kind of feel where the fuel was going lean. This
was the "DFCO" decel fuel cutoff kicking in, because once again, the
camshaft was more efficient than stock, and causing lower MAP and putting
the ECM into DFCO.

These problems can be tricky! But there are really only 2 things the ECM is
controlling - fuel and spark advance. You can eliminate spark advance easily
by lowering the max advance. See if this makes it better or worse. If worse,
then set that back to normal, and increase the overall advance (lower the
bias). See if it is better or worse.  If during these tests you can make the
engine run "better" in the area where the problem happens, then you are onto
something with the advance curve.  If not, then look to fuel.

See if the fuel is too lean. Temporarily increase the fuel across the board
(raise the base pulse constant) and see if this imporoves the engine in the
"problem area" of the RPM and load. If this test helps in the problem area,
then you are going to have to locate which cells in the VE table are low.

One very very powerful tool is TunerPro RT, with the data trace function. It
highlights the cells in the VE table where the ECM is currently running. You
can look at the laptop screen while the engine is operting in it's "problem
area" and see the general area where the table is highlighted.

Basically, make an "across the board" temporary change to ONE thing (spark
OR fuel) and see what this does to the "problem area." Then restore your
original tune. You can narrow it down to a fuel or advance issue; and is it
too much or too little advance, or too rich or too lean. Once you know what
is happening; then you can narrow it down to the actual table calls that are
incorrect for your engine.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!

Sincerely,
David