[Diy_efi] Off Topic: Car sound and heat insulation

Gospel Mentor gospelmentor
Mon Oct 29 21:28:43 UTC 2012

On my noisy GMC truck cab you could not hear a passenger talking without shouting.? I used the hard type, fire proof spray foam on outside firewall, the inner door panels and under hood.? Cut one inch thick pieces of hard fire proof foam for, above the head liner,? behind the gas tank, under the floor mat and the inside fire wall covered over with the factory stock. You can also fill cracks, crevasses and inside channels with the foam.? For many years very durable and definitely one quiet ride. On the hottest day Less refrigeration needed to cool the cab.

The only problem is when you need to make a weld where the spray foam is? -it gets messy.

Will Wade

________________________________
 From: Ben P <benof1987 at hotmail.com>
To: "diy_efi at diy-efi.org" <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 5:25 AM
Subject: [Diy_efi]  Off Topic: Car sound and heat insulation

So back in NZ I had a car that was a dream to be in. It stayed relatively cool in the sun, was quiet, everything shut with a thud, it had hardly any creaks and the ride quality was superb. The car was a 1989 Mercedes Benz 300SE. And it handled a corner like a pregnant cow going full gallop through a hedge maze. But back to the point... I'm now about to have an 87 Suzuki Mighty Boy (you won't find many stateside, so the description is 80's budget Kei Class coupe utility) and it does NONE of those. I'm not going to get it to the standards of the Mercedes but I should at least be able to get everything but the aero noise down to current budget car levels

Given that I'm going to pull it down for a rebuild and re-power anyway it is going to take little extra effort to address most of these concerns.

Specific things I've noticed:

There is a lot of exposed metal in the cab
Very little insulation of any kind is used
The temperature of the inside of the roof (very thin lining) changes rapidly and often
I can hear everything mechanical in the car even when it's in perfect condition/adjusted correctly
The carpet isn't tight and doesn't have much underneath it
The doors sound like they have the structural integrity of a dented coke can
Audio systems in similar cars (none currently in the mighty boy, but I have a 91 charade that sounds acceptable, at rest...) need constant volume adjustment depending on road speed
No tinting in the tropics is madness
Cheap cars from the 80's have no air-con
Having a passenger or load in the vehicle increases ride comfort dramatically (to the point that it goes from below average to slightly above) in terms of small bumps.

I was thinking of lining the outer door skins with this: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3680
The roof in a single layer of this (headroom is at a premium, I can only afford one extra layer here): http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3662
I'm stuck as to what to do for the floor (and rest of the exposed cabin, actually). There is this stuff http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3689 but it's expensive and I'm not certain how durable it is when used under a carpet.

Word on the street is that lining the inside door panel is worthwhile too, blanking off any unnecessary access holes. I may do that while I'm at it

So what products have you guys used in regards to sound and heat insulation? And what tips have you got for me?

Also note that the car will be re-powered with an 800cc motor at least (with 50% more power than stock) an extra 30kg won't be noticed much in acceleration.