[Diy_efi] Microcontroller based Auto Related Projects

xyz Q xyzqhtc
Tue Oct 30 03:13:00 UTC 2012

Hi, I've been on the list for some time, on and off mainly reading bits,
trying to find some interesting ideas. Unfortunately I was 10 years too
late, when this forum had been in its prime.

So here are my first set of questions that I hope on getting some answers,
hopefully.

1. Why are there so little auto related uc based projects and ideas out
there on the net? Look at hackaday.com, for example. Many projects,
talented people but all they do is prove a point that some thing can be
done. But guess what hardly something is really useful. I may have missed
some good worth while so please put them here if you know.

2. If PICs are so popular, why are Motorola MCUs popular with auto
projects? In terms of features aren't they on the same "level"?

3. The way I see to learn microcontroller based EMS or ignition is to look
at it piece by piece. Megasquirt is great but it's hard to learn a complete
system. Aren't there any web sites (I've seen DIYEFI) that have info on say
ignition control, RPM handling with an MCU or other basic control concepts
that can form the basis for EMS/Ign. related projects. I'd like to learn
the basics and if there are specific approaches to this, I'd like to hear
your side of the story. It would be helpful.

Thanks and regards to all on the forum. Some projects here are really nice
and inspiring.

Nik.