No subject

Thu May 30 05:48:45 GMT 2013

as a
function of air-fuel-ratio (AFR).

1.2.1 --- Constants and variables

AFR: Air fuel ratio
F_gal/hr: fuel flow rate in gal/hr
Sg: specific gravity of gasoline
     Sg = 0.74 gr/cc = 46 lb/ft^3

1.2.2 --- Equation

F_gal/hr = (air flow lb/hr) / (air fuel ratio) / (specific gravity
of gas) X
    (gal/cubic feet)

F_gal/hr (gal/hr) = A_lb/hr (lb/hr) / AFR () / Sg (lb/ft^3) * 7.481
(gal/ft^3)

F_gal/hr = 0.1626 * A_lb/hr / AFR

Substituting the above equation for A_lb/hr gives,

F_gal/hr = (107.6*Vd) * MAP * RPM * %VE / Ta / AFR

where (107.6*Vd) is a constant and %VE is primarily a function of
MAP and RPM.

While this is the basic equation needed to control the injector
duration, the
terms should be grouped and normalized in such a way as to make
programming
the CPU easier (i.e., the terms MAP, RPM, and %VE could be combined
into one
lookup table as a function of MAP and RPM).

1.2.3 --- Determination of AFR

The air-fuel-ratio should be 14.7:1 whenever the system is operating
in
closed-loop mode with the oxygen sensor. During conditions of
starting, cold
engine, cold O2 sensor, or power enrichment, the system should be
operated
open loop. Open loop AFR depends on coolant temperature, MAP, and
RPM.  (need
more info here --- need to define the controlling algorithm)

1.3 --- Additional terms -- Acceleration Enrichment, Deceleration
Enleanment,
and Close-Loop Feedback

1.3.1 --- Acceleration Enrichment (AE)

In the prototype controller, AE should simulate the accelerator pump
of a
traditional carburetor. That would make it an additive term to the
equation
of (1.2.2) that would add a pre-set quantity of fuel as a function of

throttle change. Additionally, it would have an adjustable "decay
parameter"
that would be similar to the hole diameter of the "shooter". In the
future,
it may be beneficial to include MAP and coolant temperature into this

term. For now, I will just represent it as a yet to be defined
additive
function of AE. (need more info here --- need to define the
controlling
algorithm)

1.3.2 --- Deceleration Enleanment (DE)

I don't believe this term is necessary in the first prototype of our
controller. Ultimately this term will lean the engine during
deceleration
much as the acceleration enrichment term adds fuel during
acceleration. It
should have the same inputs as the acceleration term.

1.3.3 --- Close-Loop Feedback (CLF)

This should be a multiplicative term representing the integrated
error from
the oxygen sensor. The conditions for when this term should be
included are
yet to be defined. Conditions to consider are cold O2 sensor, cold
engine,
acceleration, deceleration, power enrichment. (others?) (need more
info here,
need to define the controlling algorithm)

1.4 --- The overall fuel delivery equation.

F_gal/hr = (107.6*Vd) * MAP * RPM * %VE / Ta / AFR * DE * CLF + AE

In this equation, MAP, RPM, and Ta are engine parameters measured
directly.
(107.6*Vd) is a constant. %VE is experimentally determined as a
function of
MAP and RPM. DE and AE depend on MAP, TPS, and coolant temperature.
CLF
is a function of the O2 sensor input. AFR is a function of crank
(starting),
cold engine, and power enrichment.

2 --- Idle Air Control

TBD

3 --- Spark Timing

TBD

This is getting lengthy...
Will expanding this help anyone?

Someone want to start an input/output description or a software
description?

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu
__________
               T h e   O h i o - S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y
    ElectroScience Laboratory, 1320 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio
43212, USA
                Telephone: (614) 292-7981 * Fax: (614) 292-7292
----------

jsg at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu (John S Gwynne) Wrote:
[article about injection equations deleted]

instead of calculating mass airflow from rpm, shouldn't an airflow
sensor
be used?

--steve
> From: Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com
> Subject: re: basic fuel metering equations
> [article about injection equations deleted]
>
> instead of calculating mass airflow from rpm, shouldn't an airflow
sensor
> be used?
>
> --steve

Thats a classic debate.  Mass-air based systems are generally easier
tune than speed-density system.  However, a mass airflow sensor is a
restriction in the intake path.  Traditionally, mass airflow sensor
have
also been quite expensive.  The aftermarket scene for 5l mustang has
changed that for some sizes of MAF sensors, though.  Still, the MAF
needs to be roughly sized to the airflow requirements of the engine.