No subject

Thu May 30 05:48:45 GMT 2013

to the list when joining. I expect that practice has ceased now, but I will
do it because I have unusual reasons for joining this list.

I am Peter Wales, President and owner of Superchips Inc in Florida and
Superchips Ltd in England. I have been modifying and building EFI systems
since 1983 when I started by reprogramming the boost limit out of a Group N
Mitsubishi Starion. Group N is European showroom stock. The car won the
series for the next 3 years and I was king of the hill. Then  arrived the
Ford Cosworth Sierra and my business took off. Now I employ 25 people and
have dealers all over the world selling Superchips.

Now to the 3 reasons for joining this group.

1) To offer whatever help and experience I can to get problems solved. I
enjoy solving problems.

2) To get jobs done by you guys, which my engineers haven't the time for or
the market is too small to justify. More later.

3) To seek out potential Superchips engineers. Since I arrived in America 3
years ago I have had great difficulty in employing engineers who are good
enough! The problem has been that Americans don't mess with their cars as
much as English people, and so it is rare to find an electronics engineer
who has any idea of what goes on under the hood. I think this is because the
EPA have made it very difficult to work on a car without using illegal parts
or expensive parts and so people are discouraged from doing it. In England,
you can take off the catalytic converter from your new car without problem.
Carburettor jets are easily obtainable and tuning an engine is easy. Here I
have no problem in finding engineers who can design cruise missile guidance
systems, but they have never opened the hood of their cars! So I figured
people at university subscribing to this group would at least have a start
in the field and if they were looking for a job in sunny Florida, we could
come to a mutually satisfactory arrangement.

The  jobs I have in mind are the type of small task which are simply time
consuming and of low sales potential, but of interest to engineers because
they solve problems and don't take very long to do. I figured a student who
could find some time to complete one of these tasks might want to earn some
money by doing it.

The one I have in mind at the moment is for a well known car tuner who
turbocharges vehicles and has a problem with one of them. The problem is
that the injectors never go fully open and so he is losing some potential
power by being limited on the fuel delivery abilities of the system. So he
has aked for a solution. It is to hook up a pressure sensor into the system
and connect the new box to the injectors. When the boost pressure rises, the
injectors are held open a little longer depending upon the pressure until at
7 PSI, they are open continuously. It needs a PIC, some filtering and a
driver. Easy job, but it will take time to do and the customer wants them 5
at a time to a maximum of 50 a year. Interested? Talk to me.

Peter Wales