No subject

Thu May 30 05:48:45 GMT 2013

>   So, since this is a EPA (read: goverenment sponsered) protocol, does
>that mean that we'll be able to get the specs on it?
>
>                     -->   Bob Valentine  <--
>                    --> ravalent at liii.com  <--
>            "Hard Acceleration Saves Costly Aggravation"

Sort of.  The electrical specifications will be public, which means you can
reconstruct the bytes off the wire.  The EPA specifies a common data packet
for emissions related information, so you'll be able to figure out what
some of the packets on the wire mean.  But the really neat stuff, like
downloading new operating parameters, and other stuff, can (and probably
will be) proprietary. Non-emissions related info (from the instrument
cluster, ABS computer, body computer, etc.) is not specified by the EPA and
will probably be proprietary.

I got this info from an engineer at GM a few days ago, he had no opinion on
how much info GM was likely to give out.

--steve