[Efi332] XFI555 build

David Eicher sailors3
Thu Apr 7 02:29:27 UTC 2005

Hello list,

Well, after long last, and lot's of help from Gunter, Jeff, and Andrei, I am
at least able to complete the build of a test program using the quickstart
package from Motorola.

I am now trying to debug it, I will have to tinker with the OCD Commander to
get the BDM to work right, my first attempt seemed to accept the download of
the elf file, but the "go" command and the "step" command both failed to
respond.

But.., I AM making progress, thanks for all your help!

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunter Magin [mailto:gm at ib-magin.de]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 9:52 PM
To: David Eicher
Cc: 'Gunter Magin'; BowTieVette at aol.com
Subject: Re: New Info: [Efi332] GNU errors

Hi David,

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 08:42:06PM -0700, David Eicher wrote:
> So..., it is linking now without that crash, I just have to fix some
> unresolved addresses and such and I should have a successful build.

That sounds good.

Next thing is to download and debug that beast. If you have a decent BDM
debugger, it is a nice job to check block by block, module by module if
the SW does what you have envisioned.

Seeing a "hello world" over the serial line is usally a big milestone.

> How did you know what to change?

10+ years experience with GNU in cross environments...

> What type of project are you working on? Fuel injection? Some kind of car
> EFI?

These are commercial projects. Basically test stand measurment
and stimulus devices for engine reseach of a big car manufacturer.
Think of it like this: Some engineer comes up with a smart idea how
to improve combustion, or what else, and lots of people contribute
to build this particular engine prototype. Sometimes, I get called to
provide the intelligent IO controller. However, the real thing happens
in the matlab/simulink framework in big fat computer racks.  They just
cannot disclose what they are really doing, and therefore I have no idea.
So it may well be that I have already controlled fuel injectors, however
without knowing... :)

gm