[Efi332] BDM troubles

Paul Helmuth PaulHelmuth
Sat Jul 2 17:56:12 UTC 2005

Humm... I think I'll try switching my board back to use the built-in interface. It would be nice to eliminate the "extra" cords, power, and hardware.

David - are you using the parallel cable that came with the Phytec kit, or a standard cable (I haven't tested the pins with a meter, but I seem to remember that the cable that comes with the Phytec kit is not a standard parallel cable)?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: bowtievette at aol.com
  To: efi332 at diy-efi.org
  Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:58 AM
  Subject: Re: [Efi332] BDM troubles

  The BDM interface built into the Phytec development board is functionally identical to the wiggler interface, if not completely identical. You should be able to connect using either interface so thats probably not your problem.

  One thing I found when investigating using gdb was that out of the box, it did not support a parallel interface to the BDM. It only supported the ethernet interface, so the only way I was able to get it to work was with Macraigor's OCDemon program which essentially echoes the ethernet port activity on the parallel port. Your gdb version may have parallel BDM support but thats something to verify.

  As a stopgap, you might try using Macraigor's OCD Commander as they have a linux version for it. Thats probably not a final solution for you though since it only allows assembly level debugging. But it would get you connected so that you can load software at least. David Eicher is using commander I think and can probably help out with initialization scripts and such.