[Efi332] Building newlib/libgloss for MPC555

David Eicher sailors3
Tue Jul 26 03:01:13 UTC 2005

Hello, thanks again for the input:

1) I chose usr/local/power-elf because I thought that was what the readme
file at source.redhat.com was telling me to do. It is definitely not the
only thing I have misinterpreted.

I moved it to usr/local/newlib-1.13.0.

I followed the instructions in the readme exactly and created a new
directory called newlib-ppc-aout (following their convention in the
instructions).

I ran configure using --target=powerpc-elf

It did better this time, it found my compiler/linker/etc. But still decided
I don't have a cross compiler. Hmmmm, not sure what is going on there.

Maybe issue 1 and 2 below are corrected, can't tell from the configure
output for sure, I suppose I'll run make and see what happens. Issue 3 is
fixed.

I picked the name newlib-ppc-aout because the readme file with newlib gave
mewlib-m68k-aout as an example, so I just used their suggestion with ppc.
Bad idea?

Not sure what you mean by obsolete wish, but there is abviously something
going on that I don't understand. I thought I wanted to build the newlib
with code for the ppc (powerpc), is that not correct? And I want to modify
libgloss to be an interface to my hardware, so I need to compile that for
powerpc too, no? If I have this all mixed up, that could be why I'm not
getting much to run.

Thanks for the input on the order to do things, there is no info on that in
the readme file. So I should run make and get newlib to build before I
modify libgloss. I suppose the linker errors will tell me what I need in
libgloss.

I know this is bad, but I don't even have a source level debugger working
yet. So far I've debugged everything using OCDCommander in assembly
language. I'm hoping to get gdb and insight working soon, and then I'll have
to figure out how to tell if where the source is. Thanks for the hints.

Well, I kicked off make, it's been running for 5 minutes and is showing no
signs of finishing..., it must be doing something good. I hope I don't run
out of disk space. I forgot to ask how to limit the scope of this build.

Regards,

Dave

=========== configure output =========================

Dave at Dell8400 /usr/local/newlib-1.13.0
$ mkdir ../newlib-ppc-aout

Dave at Dell8400 /usr/local/newlib-1.13.0
$ cd ../newlib-ppc-aout

Dave at Dell8400 /usr/local/newlib-ppc-aout
$ ../newlib-1.13.0/configure --target=powerpc-elf
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-elf
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
-v: not found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... no
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects... cmp --ignore-initial=16 $$f1
$$f2
checking for correct version of gmp.h... no
checking for bison... bison
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... m4
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... flex
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-ar... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-as... no
checking for as... as
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-dlltool... no
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-ld...
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.1/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld.exe
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-nm... no
checking for nm... nm
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-windres... no
checking for windres... windres
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-objcopy... no
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for i686-pc-cygwin-objdump... no
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for powerpc-elf-ar... powerpc-elf-ar
checking for powerpc-elf-as... powerpc-elf-as
checking for powerpc-elf-dlltool... no
checking for powerpc-elf-ld... powerpc-elf-ld
checking for powerpc-elf-nm... powerpc-elf-nm
checking for powerpc-elf-ranlib... powerpc-elf-ranlib
checking for powerpc-elf-windres... no
checking if symbolic links between directories work... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile