[Efi332] Requirements Design Document for EFI

BowTieVette at aol.com BowTieVette
Wed Oct 19 22:23:49 UTC 2005

In a message dated 10/19/2005 4:02:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
andreic at chichak.ca writes:

>Hello,
>
>Has anyone written a requirements and/or  design document for EFI or engine
>management that they would care to  share?

I've been meaning to send a message about this for a while now.  I was
hoping that someone else would chime in since I think I have either
discussed this with either you or Jeff off-list.
Yup, that was me. I haven't done any further work on your document  since
then.

My position is coming from finishing off a project where I used  the '332,
the TPU, the SPI ADCs, serial switches and an RTOS. It was for a  piece of
medical equipment, but a lot of it is applicable to this  project.

I worked with an MPC562 board for a while, but I have to look  at where I
want to spend my money and time. I can see using the '332 again  in more
projects. I have some Axiom CMM332 boards, which make a great off  the shelf
compute core for these projects, working compilers, debugging  modules,  and
a lot of experience in the gotchas of the  '332.

For me, the cost of switching to PPC is more that I can justify  at this
point.

But, you know, this doesn't change the requirements, the  algorithms, the
structure, or what is needed to get a system going.
Yes, the performance requirements should tell you whether the 332 is
sufficient for your needs or not. That notwithstanding, if there are cost
constraints, you need to factor those constraints into your requirements  development so
as to not to guarantee yourself a deficient system  from the start.

The 332 can make a fine system for lots of folks... we've had this
discussion before. Lots of things to consider though, size, capability, through  hole
or SMT, integrated drivers or not, etc. Some of these can drive the  332 cost
to as high as a ppc design.