[Efi332] Hey guys - what's up? (QSCI & Mobile Tuning)

Paul Helmuth PaulHelmuth
Sun Feb 5 18:53:06 UTC 2006

Dave,

Super news on the QSCI! Any chance that I could get some code snippets to use as reference to get that running in my system?

64 Impala - nice. My first car was a 1965 Impala 396. It was 15 years old when I got it in 1980, but it was super clean and only had 63,000 miles on it. Every once in a while I see a nice '65 or '66 and think it would be great fun to have another one. If I only had the time, money, and space.

Regarding the mobile tuning: It's not much different (at least conceptually) from a laptop type tuning application except for the serial communication on the PDA side and the fact that you don't have much "screen" to work with. Probably the most difficult thing about it is that it is yet another development and operating environment to "figure out".

The big plus to a hand-held application is of course the size. It's a LOT easier to have a PDA in the car than it is to have a full size laptop.

Initially, I had planed on developing a hand-held app on Palm because of their market share in the PDA market. However, in the time it has taken me to develop the rest of the stuff (to this point) - Windows Mobile has grown by leaps and bounds (relatively speaking). So I decided to go Windows Mobile/PocketPC.

I upgraded my Microsoft Visual Studio to 2005 so that it would support the latest .Net Compact Framework (2.0) which has much improved support for serial communications and higher resolution PDA screens. I bought an HP IPAQ hx4700 PocketPC which has a nice VGA display (640x480) which can operate in portrait or landscape mode; a fairly fast processor, and a lot of RAM and ROM (for PDAs).

In "Phase I", I just want to get the basic mechanics of the serial I/O working between the PDA and the ECU. After that is sorted, I can think about the "best" approach for a user interface. Initially, I was thinking to use the higher screen resolution to keep the interface similar to my laptop application, but after playing with it a little, I'm not so sure that's going to the best way to go. We'll see.

As of now, my "tuner" application is really only a monitor - as I don't have the ECU side developed enough to actually tune. So what is functional is that the ECU will continuously pump out "frames" of engine operating parameters like RPM, Ignition Advance, etc. and the "tuning" application displays the real-time engine data.

Hope that's enough info to give you some idea of what I am doing.

Please let me know about the code snippets for the QSCI - it would be really helpful to have a working model to reference.

-Paul