[Efi332] Crank trigger wheel and sensor source

BowTieVette at aol.com BowTieVette
Sat May 27 18:22:19 UTC 2006

First off, I'll say crank wheel and sensor setup is probably  the most
critical issue in setting up any efi system, diy or otherwise.

Although the VR sensors work well, they do require some careful selection  to
make sure you have adequate signal while cranking and also do not saturate
the LM1815 at your maximum rpm. They are also more sensitive to crank wheel
runout and spacing than Hall Effect sensors. Not big problems, but they do
require some attention to detail.

Cherry makes a whole line of hall effect gear tooth sensors that work well
too. These require 3 wires vs 2 for the VR, and a pullup, but work well. You
may  want to consider using twisted pair with these as well. They are in the
$30-50 range at Digikey.
Its not a bad idea to set up your sensor bracketry to be able to accomodate
both to give you some options. The sensors aren't that pricey.

As for wheels, Electromotive has the most complete range in the 60-2  flavor,
and you already know about the special LS1 wheels in I think the 30-1
format. If Electromotive does not have exactly the right size for you, you  might
consider drawing one up and having it cut for you. You'll want to watch
tolerances on the teeth, but doing this will allow you to customize the mounting
arrangement to allow easy and precise centering of the wheel to control the
runout.

In a message dated 5/27/2006 9:19:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,