[Efi332] alternate processors

Gunter Magin gm
Thu Jan 4 07:49:30 UTC 2007

Hi all,

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 02:46:35PM -0700, Andrei Chichak wrote:
> At 10:19 AM 12/30/2006, you wrote:
> >I came across some mention of the "bigstuff3" controller and saw
> >that he is using an Infineon TriCore processor.  Is there anyone on
> >this list who has worked with these? Or for that matter anything
> >non-Freescale? Just curious to hear feedback relative to Freescale
> >offerings.
>
> I had a look at the processor that is in the bigstuff3, he calls it
> the SABC 16x but it should be the SAB C16X. We were looking for a

16x or C16x isn't a TriCore, it is a plain 16bit processor based on a 15+
year old 16bit core design, with quite some nice peculiarities, e.g.
fast context switches by exchanging the whole register bank with one
instruction. It also features different memory models (small, huge,
etc.), just like back in times of the '286. Development environment is
either Keil (though support may have ceased since they were bought by
ARM), or Tasking. There is also a (non-GPL'd) GCC port by HighTec.
It also has interesting programming instructions, like setting a HW bit
or clearing it.

However, this is not the Tricore. Tricore processors are named TC11xx. The
automotive series is TC116x.  They feature DSP instructions, like the
famous MAC (multiply-add) for digital filter structures, so Infineon
marketing sells it as a general purpose processor AND a DSP in one
core. I forgot what they mean with the 3rd core.

5 years ago, when Freescale lacked behind with their MPC55xx series,
and MPC5xx stuck at 56MHz, while market demanded more beef, Infineon
won quite some designs in the German automotive scene, and I started
to befriend with the thought to switch to Tricore. But since Freescale
caught up with higher frequencies, improved architecture (eTPU), it got
a little silent about Tricore. This does not mean that the Tricore is
dead or no longer developed, it is just my personal impression.

An other reason for not being that successful was probably, that they
initially had trouble with their embedded flash process. This seems to
be sorted out now, but it cost them reputation.

Meanwhile they have developed the core the usual way, like deeper
pipelines, smaller structures, a wider portfolio of IO, etc.

Tricore has a totally different concept of doing cam/crank decoding and
ignition/spark timing, than Freescale followed with the 332, MPC5xx, Coldfire
or MPC55xx.  AFAIK there is no microcode involved.

And to finally answer Andrei's question: I have considered to work
with the Tricore, but haven't got my hands dirty. But I have quite some
experience with the C16x, especially C167CR, though not in the automotive
area. Feel free to ask.

> Basically then C16X looked like a pretty normal but fast processor.

Yes. It compares well with the 332 at 25MHz.

gm