The other two chips in the MEMCAL (was Re: More Horsepower. More Torque!!)

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Apr 1 18:16:57 GMT 1999

I've seen multiple references, one of which I consider a very reliable
source, that all say the white circuit board in the MEMCAL is part of
the ESC system.  Supposedly eariler models (about 90 and before?) have
this ESC component outside the MEMCAL in a small black box a bit smaller
than your palm.

Are the resistor packs maybe part of the fuel-backup or limp-home mode?
If so, has anyone tried removing them to see if the car still runs
right?  Obviously I wouldn't want to do this permanently, but while
tuning on a car, it would be nice not to have to worry about the resistors
being there.  Of course, that still leaves the ESC part of the MEMCAL.

   Marc