Newbe here!

G. Scott Ponton gscottp at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 4 09:17:18 GMT 1999

Hi,
    Just a short note to introduce myself. It's quite late I have just
finished reading the first archive. Some very interesting information. Some
of it has my head spinning away. I suppose a little background is in order.
    Schooling covers a lot of ground as I never could really make up my mind
what I wanted to do. I have background in EE, ME, NE, and Fluid Dynamics.
There are some others but they don't really apply drafting etc. Like several
of the others on the list I have several "back rooms" full of projects which
are in some state of disrepair or operation.
    Learned programming in HS when punch cards and ticker tape were the
norm. But at the time didn't really see far enough ahead to realize what was
coming. So .... far many years it was just a hobby while I tried out other
options. For several years in the early 80's worked in an R&D lab designing
hardware and doing some "light" assembly programming. Mostly 8080 and 6500
stuff as it related to dedicated card reader systems (ATM's etc.) About that
time I figured out I didn't care for corperate politics so got out and
started my own business "repairing " auto's. For the past 15 years I have
been doing the repair thing.
    Hardware has come a very long way as has programming. I read all of the
posts and some make sense. Others  ........... well. I hope you will all
bear with me while I get back up to speed on some of this.  Current projects
include a S10 with a 96 camaro engine, auto trans and computer and a 67
Pontiac which I have running 10.90's at 123 on pump gas.
    The Pontiac only has a EST system with custom distributor at the moment.
I was in the process of building a GM baased efi system when I ran across my
first LT1. Most if the information I am interested in has to do with the
later PCM's.  If I can ever figure how to program one it should leave the
mid 80's early 90's system I was working on in the dust.
    I avoided the problems with the S10 intall which have to due with the
rear O2 sensors by putting them in the exhaust stream behind a 3" high flow
cat. This seems to work just fine with no codes set. I wonder if I couldn't
get a little more out of the system by modifying the way the PCM reads their
values though.
    Before I post much more I am mostly going to listen in and observe. I am
quite interested in the board that is under work at the moment though. After
I collect the rest of the equipment (PROM blaster/reader etc.) I will be
more able to give input.  I do have some input on a couple of posts.

1. As far as the anti theft systems go the PCM only looks at the "fuel
enable" input on start up. The board I used to bypass it produces a 30Hz.
waveform. It doesn't seem to be too critical as I have run it as low as 25
and as high as 40. The only condition seems to be timing. I found if I
triggered it with the starter it seemed to work nearly flawlessly. Maybe the
signal is just dirty enough that the PCM accepts it.
2. On the big cam question. This is one reason I like the looks of the later
PCM. After reading of the problem had with airflow through the MAF I
understand why most are looking as a speed density system. But (I may put my
foot in my mouth here :-) ) My experience is a factory MAF will work up to
about 400 rear wheel horses. It pretty well simplifies the MAP sensor
problem. Has anyone considered adding a second MAF or a Callibrated bypass
to allow more airflow while maintaining readings at higher power/RPM
levels??

    That's all for the first post. Is a little long.

Scott