prom dump program (and emulator editor)

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 7 15:15:18 GMT 1999

At 10:06 AM 4/7/99 -0500, you wrote:

>[... and David Cooley wrote on a different thread:]
>
>> That would be great... the more "intelligent" we make the emulator, the
>> simpler and dumber the software on the laptop/pc can be...
>> The other idea for software is there are several people working on chip
>> editors... when we decide on what to use for an emulator, they may be able
>> to include the software into their editor package, allowing the software to
>> update only the changed bytes.
>
>The software on the laptop can't be too dumb...
>I'm here to tell you, having the editor present the data in table
>form for editing is almost a must.  I was tuning on a car last
>night on the dyno using a generic emulator in place of the prom.
>Since the software for this emulator was generic, it didn't present
>anything in table form, it was just a raw sea of bytes that I could
>change (with hex addresses for the beginning of each line).

I think the best GM PROM editor I have seen is Terry Kelly's GMEPRO.
it's intelligent, gives you a list of tables (from a .EPE file) and even
translates the data to the real world values instead of just popping up a
table of hex digits... you want to change timing at LV8 of 160 for 4800 RPM
and GMEpro shows 14 degrees, not the hex equiv... you highlight it, type
the new value you want and save it.
It's great and I use it exclusively for my car.  Terry,
You have a limited function demo for the FTP site?
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.