O2 sensor display.

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Apr 19 01:55:31 GMT 1999

>In a message dated 4/18/99 6:12:03 PM, nacelp at bright.net writes:
>
>>And you claim what degree of accuracy?.
>>These are calibrated how?.
>>What for EGT correction do you use?.
>>What for sensor do you use?.
>>Have you read about EGOR, at the DIY-EFI archives?.
>
>>Bruce
>
>Well, I did say ANY input appreciated, but I expected an answer to at least
>one of my questions.
>However, I will answer yours,
>
>1) I claim accuracy in volts per division of better than 1/20 volt. I cannot
>control conditions of the sensor a user attaches to or how they do it.
>2) They are calibrated with a precision digital voltmeter.
>3) None.
>4) Any convenient sensor with a 0 to 1 volt range with 0.476 volts at 14.7/1
>ratio. I prefer self heating.
>5) Yes. But if know an easy way to find it all without going through hundreds
>of unrelated messages please tell me.
>
>Charlie Springer

I think Bruce meant calibrated with respect to A/F ratio, not voltage, Charlie.

The voltage from a HEGO sensor has little to do with mixture ratio--it is
more like a switch, saying RICH or LEAN.

The HEGO sensors do tend to cross at stoich regardless of EGT or EBP, but
how steep the crossing is varies VERY much with both of these variables.

See above. Using anything but a wide band type UEGO sensor/and associated
DYNO calibrated meter which compensates for EGT AND EBP, as required,  for
performance work is foolishness unless you either have an infinite supply
of money (in which case you would buy one of the available wide band units
anyway) or have no respect for the engine you are trying to tune--cause you
will damage/ruin/blow your engine if tuning by relying only on a HEGO
sensor's output!!

Regards, Greg