1227165 Tuning Advice

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 23 03:02:08 GMT 1999

At 10:48 AM 4/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Dave and Bruce,
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>When looking at the timing table, I need to look at the points in the table
>where the RPM and LV8 locations match the conditions of the Diacom data
>acquisition. Right??

<SNIP>

>>From looking at the Diacom data and the above table, the advance in degrees
>looks like total advance. I am running a base timing of 10° BTDC rather than
>the factory 6° BTDC setting. The closed loop performance is great with this
>10° adjustment. So the actual total advance is 4° greater than the table
>data would suggest.
>
>Overall, the high load/ high RPM advance does not look radical.
>
>Are there any WOT spark advance parameters??? The car runs great during part
>throttle closed loop operation. Maybe I can adjust the spark table for WOT
>and minimally effect the part throttle response.

Have to look at LV8 at WOT and see what it is at each RPM point... these
will be the points the ECM is using to set spark.

>I looked at the BLM during WOT and it was set to 128. I guess this means
>that there is no WOT A/F ratio compensation via the BLM.

Yep

>The data is very interesting. At low rpm / low load, the A/F ratio looks
>good. At low RPM/ high load, the ECM corrected a long term rich A/F
>condition. Mid RPM / low load, the system looks ok. At mid RPM / high load,
>the system looks lean. Maybe the engine is running lean! However, I am not
>sure if a fuel pressure adjustment will work. What is your opinion??

I think at WOT the engine is running lean... I'd add 3-4 PSI FP and see
what happens... Get the O2 volts above 850 and see if the knock goes away.

>The knock count rate is fairly consistent w.r.t. the diacom frame rate.
>Roughly 11 knock counts are detected in 88 diacom frames. The frame rate is
>roughly 0.150 mS, so the total test run is 13 seconds (gears 1, 2, & 3). The
>parameters when the knock count starts to increment are listed below.

>>From the above spark advance table and 10° base timing, it looks like the
>total advance is 18 +4 = 22°. Is the timing really the problem or is the
>engine slightly lean???

I'd say your a little lean... Keep the O2 above 850mv and see what
happens... As you increase FP, the idle will richen, but the ECM will drop
the BLM to compensate.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!