VL8 Calculation

Bruce & Lisa Wilcox wilcoxbl at gte.net
Fri Apr 30 16:38:55 GMT 1999

I looked through the archives and found lots of discussion on the LV8 variable. However, I did not find an equation that defines how to calculate this parameter from the sensor data and lookup tables.

Since LV8 is the engine load variable, I would think that this parameter is related to the engine VE at a given RPM. One possible way to calculate LV8 is listed below.

LV8 ( @ given RPM) = ( MAF (g/s) @ test RPM ) / (Maximum Airflow (g/s) @ test RPM ) X 255

For the 87 vintage 1227165 F-Body cars, there is a "Maximum Air Flow vs. RPM" table. I wonder if this table is used to calculate the LV8 parameter????

If the actual equation is documented, where can I find it???

Thanks,

Bruce Wilcox