Tuned Port 383 in Toyota 4WD

Jon Fedock Galadar at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 2 02:09:17 GMT 1999

Hello Group,
    I've been a lurker on this list (as well as DIY) for quite a while, and
have learned LOTS from this list. I have done a few TPI transplants before,
but my latest project has been a real learning experience. The project is a
friend's '86 Toyota 4WD truck. Here is a rundown of what I can think of off
the top of my head:
    383 Chevy stroker bottom end(KB hyper. pistons, zero decked)
    Dart Aluminum heads (sorry, don't remeber the name - same as "Iron
Eagle" I think)
    Stock Tuned Port (MAF) setup - mild porting but still restrictive (my
own speculation)
    30 lbs/hr injectors
    Hydraulic cam - can't remember all specs, but is 227 or 228 degrees @
.050"
    Turbo 400 Trans
    NP transfer case (too many differerent ones, sorry can't remember)
    35" Tires (weigh about 100 lbs apiece with wheels)
    4.12 Gear(s)
    Total weight is guestimated around 3600 lbs (!)

   The truck runs great (I only have a few slight driveability issues left).
Idles well at 600 RPM in or out of gear (the transition after a hot restart
is giving me some fits - any help here greatly appreciated). Gets pretty
shabby gas mileage, but it stays in PE mode alot <big grin>. You should see
the looks on people's faces! <heh heh heh>. I have a few questions for the
group about this vehicle. First, anyone know how to figure rotational
horsepower losses (how much hp are the tires eating?)? I know ths is above
my head, so just a ballpark figure here is fine with me. Second, Anyone care
to speculate how much hp is being lost in the intake due to restrtiction? I
know this will not be a calculated answer, but just for grins. If anyone has
any questions, feel free to ask (since I learned most of what I know from
this list) maybe I can repay something. If anyone wants a BIN, email me
privately and I'll send it out. Comments about it are welcome! Looks like
I've rambled on enough for now. Thanks for reading.
Jon Fedock