Car dieing when put under load

David Mulvey kd6bzn at QNET.COM
Mon Aug 9 15:24:49 GMT 1999

Date sent:      	Mon, 9 Aug 1999 08:51:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:           	Roger Heflin  <rah at horizon.hit.net>
To:             	GMECM <gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Subject:        	Car dieing when put under load
Send reply to:  	gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu

> My car is dieing at idle when I put it under load (A4, put it in gear or
> turn on A/C).   It just started this recently, and nothing has been
> changed on the car in alsmost a year.  Once in a while it will die at idel
> without a load, but I have stopped that by adjusting the throttle set
> screw so it gets enough air to not die at idle.

Sounds like the IAC to me.  When the IAC count changes does the RPMs change also?  if not then the IAC is stuck, dirty or just broken.

My car would die while backing out of the driveway and hitting the brakes.  It would die while trying to stop going backwards.  A new
IAC fixed it and also gave the computer control of the idle again.  Keep in mind when you do change the IAC, you have to set the idle
down to almost 0 RPM, then the computer will take over.  Then you have to set the TPS with a volt meter. Most manuals will tell how..

David Mulvey
Lancaster, CA
87 IROC 5.0