Car has driveability problem

Jon Fedock Galadar at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 12 01:27:34 GMT 1999

    I had these same problems when I changed over an A4 car to 5-speed. The
VSS and cold start problems were related for me. I had diconnected the Gear
Selector input (orange wire with black tracer in console) and ignored it.
The solution is to connect Gear selector input to ground (black with white
tracer in console) or wire it correctly. This will tell the ECM that the car
is in park at startup. There is something in the calibration that affects
startup using this input. The side effects of leaving it in "park" all the
time are: 1) No EGR 2)not as much engine braking.
    Most MAF problems I have seen are from someone messing around with the
min air adjustment or TPS adjustment. Check the FAQ at www.thirdgen.com for
the procedure to set min air and IAC reset. Good Luck
Jon