700R4 not shifting out of first.

DC Smith morepoweral at tetranet.net
Thu Aug 12 01:34:40 GMT 1999

David Cooley wrote:

> >Anyone here have any other/additional/different advice or tips to
> >correct this non-shiftin situation?
>
> Make sure the TV cable/valve isn't stuck in the WOT position...  Also,
> problems with the Governor (IE passages plugged) will also cause this.

 Also,
 My buddy with the 87 Vette w/700-4R tranny had this problem. It was the
throttle valve sticking @  WOT.
 IT may be a little work, but dropping the pan and cleaning stuff up
good along with a through inspection, is the best way to cure this. A
new GM TCC solenoid at this time is also a good idea.
 I usually spray down the valve body from all different angles with carb
cleaner (keep it off of rubber/plastic parts, pressure switches), let it
drain/dry then squirt trans. fluid on all the valves with a oil can
while working the valves that I can move with a O-ring pick. (careful
not to nick any valve lands)
 A better way would be to scatter the whole valve body, but getting
everything back where it belongs could be a challenge. :)
 Be sure to use new gaskets and torque the bolts evenly according to the
ATSG books' specs.

Dan Smith      84 Regal   12.03 at 110.45     GSCA# 1459
St.Charles, Missouri
mailto:morepoweral at tetranet.net
http://www.tetranet.net/users/morepoweral