Car dieing/torque convertor update

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Tue Aug 17 17:22:29 GMT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, CSH-HQ wrote:

> Just as a waste of bandwidth, let me guess.
>
> >The people who built the convertor are going to disassemble it, so
> >they will be able to tell me how it failed.
>
> Let's see, balloned, cracked stator, bearing, bad brazing.
> I'll go with balloned.

They can at least tell me if it was just the TCC or if other things
also failed.

> While you mention TCC, the band can "drag", and do the same thing.

What sort of things would cause the band to drag?

>   I am not sure if I burnt the fluid racing or in the traffic
>
> Unless, you were keeping it at stall speed, shouldn't generated that much he

> Like to know how they can tell of it was fliud overheating vs, heat due to
> clutches slipping/converter slippage/band damage.
>
> >> If burnt the discs have probably been glazed overheated.  Did you add a
> >> tranny cooler?.
> >
> >I am going to have one added, I still cannot explain why the clutch
> >would still be grabbing good when it engages, and be dragging enough
> >at idle to kill/load the engine heavily.   It also looks like it got
> >gradually worse, would the TCC failing cause something to get worse?
> >The other option is did the stall on the covertor change (fins
> >straightened out?).
>
> Last "fin" job I saw was using a vega convertr onna 454.
> Cracked stators still happen.

> >> Multipul clutchs in TCC or 3-4th gear?.
> >> Bruce
> >
> >Multiple in the TCC.
>
> I gotta find a pic of that.
> Just to continue along with my 2 cents worth, it's been my best experience
> to just take it all in, and say how much to fix, and what quarantee?.  Guy I
> use runs Pro Comp, and said expensive first time, and I'll treat ya right
> after that. Well, after 2 years changed converter to higher stall for $55,
> free fluid.  Was $700 cash the first time.  (Also, run Hayden's largest RV
> cooler.)

The covertor I had was already one of the high dollar ones.  They are
charging about 1/4-1/3 of original purchase price to fix things, and
that is less that what I could get a cheap one for.

Adding the multiple clutchs would be over and above what it costs to
fix things.