Software Dyno...

Patrick G. Moore pmoore at cmr.gov
Thu Aug 19 21:14:24 GMT 1999

Hi Dave,

Been thinking about the same thing.  If you could just pull
timing for traction control, say make it a closed loop for 10%
tire spin, launches would be automatic!  Someone in England has
a web page where they sell a traction control which acts like
a rev limiter. ie. it cuts spark in alternating cyls.  They have a graph
which shows friction vs wheel spin and usually around 10% is optimum.
But this is for road course or F1 cars, I don't know about a drag
race and slicks, but hey .. just try different settings.  Thier system
uses ABS also, they have a sensor kit in case you don't have ABS.

I think pulling timing would provide a much finer control without
dumping raw fuel, and is more immediate than the dumb throttle control.
I don't like the idea of shutting off injectors either, as I may
be using N2O/alcohol also, and quickly melt the engine.

Problem with VSS is that you can't detect tire slip unless you can tell
the difference between the front and rear tire rotation.  You also
have a problem with ABS sensors if the front wheels are off the ground!
In this case you would need an accelerometer and compare acceleration
to that you would get if there was no slip at the driving wheels.
ie. x.x tire rotations = 5ft accelerometer integrates to 4.5ft.  The
VSS would work fine in that case, though it might not be fine enough
resolution.  Could also use some sort of ground looking radar for
true speed (instead of accelerometer).

I was thinking of this because of the problem of my front wheel
drive car and getting optimum launches.  I don't have a problem with
wheels coming off the ground! So if I put abs sensors on, and could read
an extra analog input in my ECM. An external circuit that converted
% wheelspin to an analog voltage could feed a little piece of code that
pulled timing to maintain a certain voltage:)  Whew...

Let me get my car on the road first ;)