was: 3.8 supercharged computers, now: OBDII tamper-proofing

Jennifer and Brock Fraser fraser at forbin.com
Sat Aug 21 05:42:39 GMT 1999

> >I've got a question for anyone who has dealt with the supercharged 3.8L
> >engines...  First off, are there any OBDII ECM/PCM's for these engines
that
> >took a replaceable chip, or did they go flash at the same time that the
LT1
> >and truck PCM's did?
>

> The Federal OBD_II standard required *ALL* OBD_II pcm's to have flash
> eeprom, and no removeable prom chip.  This was to make the swapping of
> chips impossible (Although figuring out how to reflash the PCM get's
around
> that!)

It wasn't a requirement, just a suggested method.  Tamper-proofing measures
were required, but going to the extent of reprogramming was simply one
alternative.  Range Rover is the first example that comes to mind when I try
to think of OBD-II computers with socketed chips.

Nonetheless, thanks for the input on the GM 3.8sc in particular. (you and
others)

-Brock