Traction control (long and sorta related to Software Dyno)

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Sun Aug 22 05:13:38 GMT 1999

Kendall,

> If you're really going to have 1000 hp, step up and get a Fel-Pro or a
> Motec.  Wide band O2 control, laptop tuneability, P&H injectors, customer
> support!

I have 2 Fel-Pro controllers right now.  They are pretty neat.  Customer
support you say?  Hrmph.  I can't even get a printed user document and
the 'online' help is nonexistent.

The idea of taking a car that has all of the factory controls in place
(A/C, cruise control, ABS, etc) and making the PCM do something even
more useful seems like great fun.  Trying to get that Fel-Pro to run on
my LT1 is a real feat.  So far, 2 people stepped up to the plate and
offered that they knew how.  I bought one solution ($1800 just for the
interface box) and it is OK, but not great.  Since the PCM throws a
zillion codes when run this way, he has a routine in there that runs the
SES light at startup and then turns it off (for inspection purposes I
guess).  It would be much nicer to be able to make a single PCM do all
the work that I am doing with 3 now.  Fel-pro is great for a racecar or
street rod, but not really for a late model EFI car that requires more
functionality.

The biggest bust of all is the shortage of drivers available in that
unit.  I have a choice of either N2O triggering or IAC.  Not both.  This
is where it seems a production PCM could be a great deal.  Trade runtime
adjustability for a few more useful drivers.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man
'95 Black Impala SS
'94 Ducati 900SS CR