ping

Bruce Wilcox (EUS) EUSBEW at am1.ericsson.se
Tue Aug 24 11:57:32 GMT 1999

> I heard from a part-time mechanic that the weirs to the knock sensor have
>to be twisted upon instalation t limit noise.  May even be a tsb onthe
>subject.  might help someone experining wierdness
> Todd Israels

I can offer an alternative explanation of the wire twist theory ( from the
EE perspective).

The voltage ( or emf) inductively coupled into a circuit is proportional to
both the flux density ( magnetic field strength / standard unit area ) and
the "area" enclosed by the circuit loop. The circuit loop includes the
source, all wiring from the source to the load, the load,  and finally the
"return" from the load back to the source ( usually defined as the local
ground). By twisting the wires, the circuit's effective loop area is reduced
and therefore the inductively coupled noise voltage amplitude is attenuated.

Twisted pair wire is a cheep alternative to magnetically shielding circuits
with a high permeability metal (Mu metal).

Best Regards,

Bruce Wilcox