More ABS/TCS

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Wed Aug 25 13:52:07 GMT 1999

I agree about the naieve operator thing, there have been studies
(okay, TV thingys) that show people who stomp on the brakes with ABS
tend to get scared at the pedal jerking and take their foot off.
"OOH!" - - SMASH!.

I always tell people to go to a empty parking lot and stomp on
the brakes at 40 mph a few times so they know what to expect. When I
had an ABS car it was way too fun in the snow to test it out at every
stop ;-)

ABS's that allow locking below 10mph help in the snowy intersection
situation. I've been in a work van down a snow covered slope and its
the most helpless feeling ever.. you press harder and harder and
harder yelling "get outta the waaaay" while doing a steady 5 mph down
the hill. the alternative without ABS is skidding at 5, then 10 then
15 then 20 mph all the way down with no control. Someone else was
driving not me, its even scarier as a passenger.

retaining steering control at the expense of longer stopping
distances?  should have put more time into that traction control
thingy insted  ;-))

Remember the 4 wheel steering (4WS)  car with the anti-spin feature
that when coming out of a corner (powered) the thing put you 2 full
lanes over because it actually had control over the STEERING and
straightened the car out to gain accelleration rate!?  ask an old
pilot about fly by wire.

> Bruce Plecan Wrote
> <snip>
> > Besides most people freeze, and son't even turn the steering wheel when the
> > ABS kicks, so ABS is usuallly useless to the average jerk driver.
> > Doc
> > >
> Main purpose of ABS is to retain steering control, not reduced
> stopping distances.  This is relayed from a training video.
> Personally, I've rolled through bunches of intersections in the winter
> in ABS cars that I would be able to stop for in non-ABS.
> Shannen

~~~
Dave Z. www.delanet.com/~tgp