Traction Control & Racing

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Fri Aug 27 14:12:49 GMT 1999

> Has anyone tried those mechanical antl-lock brakes??? Looks like a shock
> absorber for the brake line (pressure).

Yes, I will step up to the plate and admit I was an idiot and tried them
on my lifted Ford crew cab years ago.  They are basically a small "jar"
with a diaphram, with an inlet on top for the brake fluid, and below the
diaphram in a sealed chamber, high pressure nitrogen.  The concept is as
the brake rotors pulse the pads/calipers due to out our rounding, which
is normal, the nitrogen cylinders will absorb this "bump" like a shock
absorber, thus keeping the brake pad on the rotor at all times.

Doesn't quite work that way, and if one springs a leak (one of mine
did), boom - no front or no rear brakes, depending how its plumbed in.

I believe they were recalled and taken off the market.  I was trying to
find a solution that enables a 6500lb Ford crew cab longbed with 18" of
lift and 48" tires to stop better :)  I ended up working with a friend
of mine who fangled rotors on the front/rear diffs at the driveshaft
attachment points like everyone else, which helped, but promoted ring
gear wear in a major way.  Still better than driving over caddilacs in
front of you that you can't see at stop lights.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology

Tele: (203) 372-2707