749 in a 749 - troubles

Jeremy Gonyou jgonyou at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 29 23:04:06 GMT 1999

Sorry, Guys, but I have to revive this thread.

  When you last heard from me I had just tried a syclone bin in my 7730 (3.1
DIS).  SES light, no codes.  The chip checked out ok so I figured bum
Memcal, right?

  Just bought new a memcal.  Soldered in AMP socket, popped in STOCK chip.
Same deal: SES light, no codes (Note: the car behaves this way with no chip
installed at all).  Sometimes the car refuses to even start with the
modified memcal.

  New hypothesis:  Ruining connections when testing memcal for continuity.

  Yes, that's all I've got at this point.  I'd really appreciate and ideas
from the group.  Listed below is my procedure, maybe someone can pick up on
a bone-headed mistake:)
     Test unmodified memcal in car
     solder out stock chip
     solder in AMP socket
     burn stock data on a fresh chip
     check pins for continuity (using a multimeter and solid core wire to
get into the bottom end of the memcal)
     pull ecm fuse and install newly modified memcal
     reinstall ecm fuse, start car

That's all...