DIS for GMECM

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Dec 5 00:30:12 GMT 1999

Oh, no no no.  DIS ignition signals output by the ecm are shaped and
timed differently than HEI or distributor type signals.  Distributors
use varying dwell, adjusted for rpm and battery voltage, where DIS
signal "dwell" portion is exactly 1/2 the duration of the "fire"
portion.  In addition, a GM DIS system's reference signal is quite a
bit advanced compared to the dizzy signals, as much as 80 degrees.
This would mean the ecm commanded advance of 30 degrees would equate
to 110 degrees at the crankshaft!

If dizzy/DIS swap were easy, the SYTY guys would all be running sans
dizzy, and the GN guys would be running sans MAF sensor.

Shannen