GMY2K Check your DIC

Shawn R. Lin slin01 at mail.orion.org
Thu Dec 2 06:29:48 GMT 1999

Jeff M wrote:

> Better check your DIC though, it is wired with the rest of your TGP/ECM and
> will show "00" pretty soon, won't hurt anything but you do have a date and
> it is one symbiotic part of your system.  My Wife's 1992 Trofeo has a very
> elaborate ECM/BCM/SIR/IPC system that is absolutely astonishing being that
> is  able to use the existing in-car display to show all data for many areas;
> blower speed/volts in BCM (and 39 more), turn on and off individual
> injectors in ECM as well as snap-shot and user override/activation (allowed
> me once to find an elusive clicking noise by cycling the purge canister
> solenoid and hopping under the hood to confirm the culprit and location) and
> 31 more.  And IPC and SIR troubleshooting but not as exciting (AND all
> without a Diacom!!!).....and this system has a clock with a 4 digit year
> display that may not care if there is any different time zone or such but
> the clock does tic, and time will tell less I move it ahead my self ;-).

Jeff,
Just for fun I have already checked the DIC in the TGP, it is indeed Y2K
compliant... well, it will go to 00 and beyond just fine.  2-digit year
or not, I don't think there are any year-based calculations, at least
not on the TGP.  It's just a FYI display.  Even the day of the week has
to be set by the user, so Y2K is definitely no problem.

I told me girlfriend about the talk on here about people charging money
to tell you if your car is Y2K compliant.  She got a kick out of it and
told a co-worker about it.  Her co-worker actually replied, "how much
SHOULD it cost?"  Scary.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/