'96 and '97 PCM's

EK sk8er at netmost.com
Wed Dec 8 01:50:58 GMT 1999

The new Hughes Auto-Xray EZ-link units will talk to OB2  68332 family,
specifically the 16193495 BABB flash VCM. It will NOT talk using the 1995
ALDL commands thru the 16 pin OBD 2 connector, or the special 16 pin adapter
cable although it does have pins for ALDL in addition to VPW pins. I never
verified they are connected on VCM, but they do have wires going somewhere.
I had to enter vehicle as 1996 GM OBD 2 generic to get any kind of response.
Monitor mode provides minimal data - timing, map, both O2, load, TPS,
engine, vehicle speed, temperature and a few others. No EGR pintle position,
which is what I was looking for at the time.  I also tried most all the Vin
codes with no response in the ALDL mode, since this mode seems to give many
more parameters, at least it does on a 1995 Olds with a quad 4 I also
tested. I also tried the B&B Autotap as well, and could not get any response
with it on my truck back in July. It did work very well on a friends 1996
V-6 S-10, with a full laptop screen of updating data goodies. People at B&B
were very helpful, but couldn't get it working for my application. Of course
I took the Hughes apart to see the 8051, TSOP 28F0?? flash and Xilinx part
inside, but didn't do any probing - kind of expensive to break. Surprised at
the lack of hardware in it for doing all the Ford, GM, Chrysler OBDII.