Newbie

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Dec 8 18:34:19 GMT 1999

   I'm sure I'll have many questions, some more stupid than others, but I'll try to keep them to a minimum and in small doses.

  Just ask, dosages don't matter, but, the answers might get overwhelming.

  First before I start hunting the boneyards and hacking wires, is there any other ECM I should consider instead of the 747 and why?

  Nope, Tunercat has a demo for editing that one, so it's real cost effective to get in on that.
  You have a 30 day pay for free.

  The stock ECM seems to have more wire inputs used than the 747 based on the connector ID chart. Most of the connections are obvious, but obviously some are unneeded(doubtful) or need to be combined. Any and all help on this would be helpful. Doesn't GM make a " convert your Crossfire to 747" diagram or harness adapter? :)

  They all about line up just using colors, the only sneeky thing was the SES (Service engine light) the 747 doesn't use the driver board (green dealy).

  Since the stock harness to ECM doesn't use a pin connection, are there connectors that will mate to the stock harness? I'd rather make a harness adapter rather than hack off the stock one if possible.

  GMP Parts
  (916) 685-1055 has the bits to make the adapter, talk to John.  Ain't pretty but has the parts to make it work..

  Exactly what does the calpac do and how does it relate to the vehicle/engine/drivetrain combination?

  The netres sets the limp home mode fuel.
  The prom contains the calibration for vehicle.

   Since I'm on a budget, when I find the ECM I would like to get it ECM with the right calpac and a good starting prom would be nice too. How close does the donor vehicle have to be to my project vehicle as far as cubic inches/gearing/transmission etc.

  Closer=Better, but as long as v-8 will work.
  Grumpy

  Kevin Reynolds
  82 Z-28 5.7liter 5-speed with crossfire injection.