Still have some problems - ahy ideas?

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Dec 8 22:01:24 GMT 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Ken Kelly wrote:

> Roger,
> 	If we're guessing, let me take a try. Just a stream of
> consciousness dump! What magic happens at 5 to 8 minutes.
> Did you look at EGR and Vapor recovery systems. Do changes
> in these correspond to the 5-8 minutes? I would think you
> reach normal operating temperatures in less than 5 minutes.
> How cold is the ambient? Does it take 5-8 minutes to reach
> 180 degrees coolant temperatures. The Idle speed table is
> speed vs Temp, how is the temp tracking the 5-8 minute time?
>
> 		Ken

None of the EGR/Air/Purge happens within a minute or so before or
after the engine starts running correctly.   The temp slowly rises
like it should.  I believe the temp is probably pretty much done
rising by 4-5 minutes.

I have a 160 degree thermo, it won't get to 180 with this kind of
outside temps.   The outside temp is 40-50 degrees, and everything
apperas to be completely warmed up, and in closed loop for quite a
while when things start working.   Also things seem to be ok if the
car is started later in the day even if the temps are still not warm
and the engine is again cold.

>From everyones suggestion I am going to try several things and see if
it changes anything.

				Roger