fuel injecting a '73 vette

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Fri Dec 10 13:15:40 GMT 1999

you dont have to reprogram anything possibly.. use a MAF type
computer, and not many mods to the vette motor.. slap on a Tuned port
system intake from a 85 or 86 5.0 or 5.7 litre (5.7 prefferably - the
inkectors are sized better for your 350) - install a harness from the
same car, or buy "painless wiring": type harness from aftermarket. Get
some kind of oxygen sensor monitor and/or a exhaust gas temp sensor
or a scan tool / laptop scan kit and see if you need to up the fuel
pressure or drop it. idle with a big cam can be tough. the 165
computer is MAF, and like bruce says - the 730 is MAP and may be
ultimately a better choice.. depending on your skill.

coarse if you want to squeeze max power fron the engine - gotta get
some aftermarket air intake stuff $$ and head work , cam etc then you
must tune the computer.  If you plan on going for lotsa power and tune
anyway, some more knowledgs and  a MAP type system is better ...
others may have opinions on this.

I have never done a conversion or swap but have helped change a 350
block where a 305 was, and tuned my own 350 (MAF) for a supercharger
with some success - my experience is not what others' on here is
so...

Yes folks I still have the 86 305 tuned port intake and harness and
computer here for sale ;-P still havent ebay'd it.  considering ALL
offrers from $1. free 305 shortblock if you buy the TPI and pay
shipping or pick it up (MD)

okay sorry for the commercial.

> From:          davidl.reed at amd.com
> To:            gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       fuel injecting a '73 vette
> Date:          Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:07:13 -0600

> Hi all I'm new to this list.
>
> I was recommended to this list by some folks at corvetteforum.com
> BB.   I'm trying to determine how to fuel inject a '73 vette and
> still retain some degree of tuneability (so I can tinker with it
> over time) w/o spending megabucks on an Accel system.  Am I in the
> right place?  I'm not looking to design a system from scratch.  I
> would like to use the GM ECM as a controller but what I hear is that
> it's difficult to retune it for specific applications.  Does anyone
> know if it's possible for the average shade tree mechanic to
> reprogram the GM ecm (I do have an electronics degree but no guru
> though)?  Is there software available to do this with the early
> '90's MAP style TPI intakes/ecm's.  I'm told that The Turbo Shop had
> software to reprogram it to some extent but it was apparently not
> capable of addressing all aspects of ecm retuning and that it was
> possibly not too user friendly. When the inquiries about the
> software and requests for help mounted the company owner just
> discontinued selling it.  Is there an alternative?  Am I wasting my
> time here?
>
> Thanks
> David

~~~