[admin] 2.5" hard disk

Peter Gargano peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au
Sat Dec 11 23:01:55 GMT 1999

At the expense of a making a blanket statement:
Most laptops use a 2.5" drive with a 44 pin IDE interface
that includes the power (+5 volts needed only - usually)
Most PCs use a 3.5" drive with a 40 pin IDE connector and
a separate 4 pin +12 and +5 Volt connector. Note that the
44 pin connector is basically the 40 pin connector with the
extra 4 pins carrying the power. Consequently, you can buy an
adapter that lets you you use a 44 pin IDE drive with a 40
pin cable AND a 4 pin power connector.

But this all begs the obvious question - why use a 2.5"
drive when a 3.5" drive is probably cheaper (and dare I
suggest - more reliable - or are laptop drives less reliable
because people drop them more often?)

Plus, are we jumping the gun here? What has Steve/Orin/John/etc.
decided about a new server?

--
Peter Gargano